Improving a high turnover in CEO position - Case Study
Brief description of service provided:
Resurgence client was experiencing a high turnover in the CEO position. Resurgence was requested to assist and was engaged to provide the client a CEO Turnover Assessment Review as well as an interim CEO as part of the solution.
The Assessment identified key issues that the client needed to address in order to avert high turnover of CEOs in the future and thereby address the consequential risks and operational implications. Resurgence provided pragmatic recommendations that addressed the following aspects:
Client's CEO Role
- CEO role description and selection criteria,
- CEO remuneration package and
- Strategy during and following the CEO’s recruitment process.
Organisational structure and capabilities
- The boundaries and expectations between Management roles and Governance roles of the CEO and trust members
- Committee structure, responsibilities and communication
- Structure of operation and business functions.
Organisation Working Processes
- Definition and alignment of the new organisation structure
- Governance and Operation working process
- Reporting and tracking methodology.
- Establishment of organisation culture that support new structure and working processes.
Resurgence provided an interim CEO who assumed the accountability and responsibility of the role during and after the assessment. Not only were all aspects of the role ably managed, but in a number of critical areas the interim CEO provided leadership and decisiveness to achieve time critical outcomes to position the organisation for the future.
Added Value of Resurgence service to the client:
The assessment report was fully accepted by all client's Trust (board) members. The recommended actions in the final report have provided the new CEO with a plan for immediate action. The implementation of the recommendations detailed in the assessment report result in the following major benefits to the client:
- Recruitment of a new CEO with a better fit and skill set for the role – in accordance with the recommended profile and recruitment process
- Greatly improved leadership, management and operations, with a supportive business structure,
- Clear boundaries between CEO operation and Trust members governance,
- A clear reporting line of communication, working processes that support the capability of implementing the client's strategic plans and goals